Sunday, June 13, 2010

Traveling with the Kiddos

As our vacation approaches, I'm getting a little more antsy about traveling with a two year old all that distance! I'm sure it will be okay and we will all survive, but the less frazzled nerves, the better! In an effort to come up with some things to keep Samir occupied (and give me that sense of being in control!) I searched the internet. Well folks, I'm here to tell you there's not a lot out there to keep toddlers entertained! I found a great website that had some good ideas: http://www.momsminivan.com/ It has ideas for babies, toddlers and big kids. I plan on borrowing the idea about wrapping small toys, so kids think they're getting presents on the trip. I also found a few things on http://www.nickjr.com/ Most of these ideas were for a little bit older toddlers, but there were some for the two year old set and a few I think I can adapt.

I used Microsoft Word to create a simple scavenger hunt, with pictures, of things that Samir recognizes.



I put this, as well as everything I'm about to show you, in page protectors inside a three prong folder. We have some wipe off crayons that I'll take so Samir can write and wipe to his little heart's content!

Next I made two matching games for the folder. I did shapes and colors, but you could do pretty well anything. The alphabet is a little much for Samir and he can only count to four, so that ruled those out.




NOTE: I tried attaching the velcro to the sheet protectors with tacky glue, but found low temp hot glue worked best. You could also buy the sticky back velcro, but I didn't have that on hand.

The next activity I found on Nick Jr.'s website. It's essentially a coloring sheet with a beach back ground to start you off. Since we're going to the beach I thought this was especially appropriate!

I also plan on dyeing some pasta and taking it along with some string to practice fine motor skills. This is the link that shows how to dye pasta: http://www.ehow.com/how_4790167_dye-pasta-crafts.html 

I want to make a "find" bottle. To do this, you fill a clean bottle with rice and various small objects for the kids to find. I'll make a list with pictures of what's in there, but I'm betting Samir will just like turning it around and finding things.

I'm having my mom (because I can't sew!) make a fastener blankie for Samir. All this is basically is a blankie with various fastener type things on it for small fingers like buttons, snaps, ties, etc. You can buy these, but I think it will cheaper to make. I'll post a pic when it's done.

I recently made a clipboard for Samir so he has something to put paper on for our trip. I found a cheap one at Target then picked out some scrapbook stickers I thought he would like.


                     front                                          back


I'll be adding more to this post as I find it, so check back!