Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Art 101 Week Five

The time has come....summer is almost over and I have got to get busy getting things ready for the upcoming school year. So, regretfully, this will be my last official Art 101 post. I'll still do art with Samir and post the projects on here but it will not be as often. Thanks for those of you who checked it out!


Foldover printing
Have your child paint a picture on paper that has been folded in half.




Then unfold it and fold together, smooshing the painting from one side to the other. Super easy!

 Set design
Use a few stickers and stick them on paper, then have your child draw a scene around the stickers. For older kids, it might look like this.....


For younger kids, it will probably be more like this.....



Chalk Drawing
You can use any chalk and any color construction paper for this. We had sidewalk chalk and I liked it on black paper, so that's what we did :) Have your child draw with chalk on construction paper.


When finished, you can use hairspray to set the chalk and preserve the picture if you wish. I only recommend this if you are going to save it. We hung ours on the fridge and it's holding up just fine.


Rock Animals
Samir loves rocks, so I figured he would like this. I saw this in an issue of Family Fun magazine, but tweaked it a little. They used popsicle sticks for legs, we used twigs. Go outside and have your child find some rocks. Then paint them as they wish. I went back and added eyes after Samir was done painting.