Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Day Fun


It snowed here in Fort Smith, as well as much of the South. Samir and I got a snow day off from school because of it, so I wasn't complaining too much! Samir was very excited to play in the snow and I was excited to have a day at home to do some projects together. I was so excited in fact, that I woke up at 8:30 and Samir slept until almost 9:30! I didn't manage to get the camera out and ready for some of our adventures, so I'll just describe them and you can put it together in your mind :)

Watching the snow fall the night before

Snow paint

Snow paint is super easy. Just add some food coloring to spray bottles of water and spray away! The more food coloring you add, the stronger the colors.

Our finished masterpiece




Window coloring- we have some Crayola window markers that are awesome! Very much worth the money! They are non-toxic and come off the window with a wet paper towel.

We also experimented with shaving cream on the windows. I just squirted some and let him smear it around. We drew pictures in it and practiced some letters and numbers. This was a little messy, so needless to say, no camera was out for this one!

I thought about making some snow ice cream, but considering this was the first snow of the year and not deep enough to get some without dirt, I vetoed this idea. We did it last year and loved it, so here's to hoping for some more snow this year!

We didn't get around to making ice sculptures, but it sounded so fun, I have to share it with you! All you do is take various containers from around the house. We were going to do ice cube trays and some sand toys from the summer. All you do is pour some water in, let it sit outside, pop it out, build with it and then marvel at your sculptures! We were going to use some of the colored water that we used for snow painting. You can also put items in the water before it freezes.