Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homemade bird feeders

I found a recipe for bird feeders made from gelatin a while back and thought it would be perfect to try over Spring Break. The actual recipe is here, but instead of bundt pans, we used cookie cutters. You basically prepare the gelatin and then mix birdseed in until it is well coated. Then we used cookie cutters lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray and smooshed (technical term there) the mixture in. Then you stick a straw through each one to create a hole. After a few hours in the fridge, we strung some ribbon through and went outside to feed our birdies!





Stirring the gelatin


Our feeders before refrigeration

How I keep Samir busy while I clean the rest
of the kitchen :)


Our finished feeders


Hanging the feeders


We made two without holes to sit on our window
ledge, so we will be sure to see the birds eat

Our Easter bunny feeder is by far my favorite!